Tuesday, March 27, 2012

...The Henderson Twins (birth day)

On February 9, 2012 Neil McKinley and Elizabeth Rose came into the world. What a whirlwind of a day...

There are 24 hours in a day. Why did my water have to break during the only 8 hours that I'm not at home? As memorable as the day was for me I know that my 8th grade chorus won't forget it!!!

We were rehearsing a piece for their spring concert. I was working with the soprano section, and they were doing a great job! In the middle of their rehearsal my water broke. Luckily, I was sitting at the piano so they couldn't see anything. I calmly told them that they sounded great, and asked them to put their music away. I sent one student to get the nurse and had the rest take out their books to read silently.

Once the nurse arrived things began to move so fast! The students were taken to another classroom, an ambulance was called, I called Scott, they put me on a stretcher (the process of which caused the second amniotic sac to break), and the paramedics headed to St. Clair hospital.

I got in touch with my doctor, and he told me to go to West Penn Hospital instead of St. Clair. I immediately called Scott to tell him what was happening. The poor guy was already at St. Clair, and had to leave.

While he was playing musical hospitals I was being poked and prodded and prepped for surgery. Both babies were breech so a C-section was inevitable. Luckily, Scott made it to West Penn in time. He helped me with paperwork (writing in the middle of a contraction is NOT easy!) and got changed into his scrubs. They took me into the operating room, gave me my spinal, and brought Scott in.

At some point before the surgery Elizabeth's heart rate dropped. As fast as things were going they sped up even more and I lost track of all time. At least the pain was gone! They began the C-section. Neil was delivered at 11:48 am and Elizabeth was delivered at 11:49 am...eight weeks early.

Because they were early both babies were given a corticosteroid to help their lungs and they were whisked off to the NICU. I didn't get to see them until 4:00. They were in their isolettes in separate rooms. Neil was on a CPAP machine. Elizabeth had a nasal cannula on. It was the first day of our NICU experience.

Before we get into that here are the stats: Neil McKinley Henderson 4 pounds 4 ounces 18 inches long. Elizabeth Rose Henderson 4 pounds 5 ounces 17 1/2 inches long.

RMH



No comments: